8.25.2008

Blenders are not just for Smoothies anymore...

Don't know what to do with those extra tomatoes from your garden??

Dude, make someone in your house/neighborhood super happy by mixing up this super 'yumm-o' recipe I got from my buddy Jodee... I think it tastes much better when she makes it... Humm...maybe she has that extra special 'touch'... (But let me tell you... there's nothing like watching super exciting-action-packed episode of 24, and when you can fast forward the commercials while using Tivo, and chowing down on Jodee's homemade Salsa... life just doesn't get any better than that!!!

Try it out, let me know what you think... I think the salsa is also better the next day after you make it... gives it time to marinate!

{BTW:Check out these gorgeous tomatoes from my garden! Waahh-hoooo! Tomatoes are such 'people please-ers'... they make anyone feel like they are seriously domestic and good at gardening...I mean LOOK at what I grew!}

Homemade Salsa
Recipe from the Kitchen of Jodee Egbert

Ingredients:

SAUCE BASE:
1 (28-oz.) can Whole Tomatoes*
1 Tablespoon Garlic Salt
3 teaspoon ground Cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground Oregano
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne/red pepper
1 Tablespoon canned diced jalapeƱos
Dash sugar to taste

ADD-INS:
5-6 Diced Green Onions
1/3 c. Diced cilantro
1 – 1 ½ T. diced green chilies
3-4 Roma Tomatoes Cubed*

Instructions:

1. Open can of whole tomatoes and using lid, poor tomato juice** in blender.
2. Add other ingredients from sauce base. (Do not add the ADD-INS yet.)
3. Blend ingredients from sauce base on low to medium for 10 to 20 seconds until well blended.
4. Add the ADD-INS and whole tomatoes left in the can to the sauce base in the blender and blend on low until tomatoes reach the consistency desired. Less time for chunky, more for saucy.
Caution: Do not over-blend the ADD-INS.
5. Let sit overnight for better flavor.




* About 10-12 medium sized tomatoes

**If you are using fresh tomatoes... Cut tomatoes in half, and with your hands: squeeze the juice from ALL the tomatoes, reserving only about 1/2 cup of the juice... If you've never done this before... it can be a very liberating experience! place the juice in blender and continue with step 2 of the instructions! (if you don't juice all the tomatoes, the salsa will be really watery!)

8 comments:

Danielle Hacking said...

Your tomatoes are beautiful! I'll have to try this recipe, I've been looking for a yummy salsa recipe to try!
I've been going back and forth trying to decide whether to go private or not... its a tough decision I guess! I'm emailing you right now!

Justin said...

Honey, you make maaaaaahvelous salsa! I tell ya... I'm one lucky guy.

Amy said...

looks good!

Lisa said...

I never knew you had such a green thumb! The salsa looks yummy! I can't wait to try out the recipe.

Rachey-Foo said...

yummy! and you GREW those tomatoes? how fun! i would love to put in a garden everntually. our yard is seriously crazy right now with a whole pine tree just waiting to be hauled off. anybody need free firewood?? lol

oh don't get me started on our yard....lol

mmm, salsa!

Adrianne said...

i am still waiting for my tomatoes to turn red( Any suggestions?) and then I will have to try this, because the ONLY reason I planted tomatoes was for salsa.

Justin said...

Absolutely, A... this will sound silly, but if you take a screwdriver (any ol' screwdriver will do) and go poke a handful of holes in the ground near the base of the tomato plant, they should ripen up faster! Crazy, but it works!

J, E, M & I said...

I'll try that J...We are still waiting for red tomatoes...
Panda your salsa looks wonderful!!