4.08.2009

A Quilting History...

Quilting has been a fun passion of mine over the years and it's fun to see how far I have progressed in my abilities. I thought it would be fun to post "A" history before the unveiling
(Thursday!YIPPY Thursday!)
of the latest quilt I've made. It's currently in transit to PA... and I don't want to post before B and Shelly see it in person.
The first quilt:
I made it when I was about 12 years old! My Mom helped me make this for a 'New Beginnings' program at church... We also painted and decorated my room to match the quilt. It was a real fun project to do together.
When I was visiting in January, I found my quilt in the basement and asked if I could take it home. Caitlin LOVES it and sort-of adopted it as her own. She can be found snuggled underneath it every night. (Will also has taken a liking to it... I thought this was so cute of him to jump right on the quilt when I was taking a picture of it!)
"Cheese!"

Second Quilt:

This was a quilt I had been wanting to make the minute I graduated High School. I'd saved all the t-shirts from the plays and musicals I was in (that offered them, I was also in Little Women... and for some reason they were being cheap and didn't print shirts for that play...gur.)
ANyWay!
SO, (in late 2004 or) 2005 sometime, Lindsey (my cute sister-in-law) and I got together to use Mama T's sewing machine... and we made t-shirt quilts!

Lindsey used the shirts and sweatshirts from her cheerleading days!! It turned out SO cute! (Go Red and White, East High!)
I was really glad we were able to do this project together... Fun memories, Linds!
(Note to self: I still need to tie this quilt! It's still being held together by safety pins. Humm. maybe I should get on that...)
I'm sure that as soon as I do, Will is going to want to put it on his bed! :)


FOR THE RECORD: I resist all temptation to take the binding out and re-do the whole quilt because of what I know now... BUT I keep reminding myself... there is nothing like seeing this quilt and all the quirky kinks and remembering all the fun memories that went into making it. Love it forever!

Third set of quilts:

When I was pregnant with Will (Dec. 2005), I had been saving my money for my own sewing machine. My mom was visiting from PA and we went shopping and found one. THEN she taught me how to use it! Little did I know this would be the beginning to a fun and addicting, not to mention expensive, hobby.

I started small with some unused fabric I had laying around the house: old sheets actually. Our stake was doing a huge humanitarian project and was asking people to make baby quilts. I thought this would be a lot of fun to test out my unsurfaced skills... (haha. on other people. In all seriousness, by serving others I always strive to do better... and I feel that I'm a better seamstress because I took time to do this and other sewing services.)

I'm laughing because I remember that Caitlin was only 9 or 10 months at this point... I remember how she would cry every time I'd use the sewing machine. I guess the sound scared her... So, I had to work on projects when she was napping. haha.

Pretty simple quilts. I LOVED the orange/yellow fabric/sheet ... it was hard to part with, but I knew it would make some baby out there happy with it's bright colors! They later 'tied' the quilts at a super Saturday thingy...


Fourth Quilt:

Also another service project. The boy scouts last year had a goal to tie 100 quilts and they needed people to donate what they had. I had these left over fabrics (sheets mostly) and jumped at the opportunity to make a full size quilt for them to tie! I was thrilled it only took me 5 days to make this baby... and that is when i think the REAL obsession started...



Fifth Quilt:
Wall-e!
Will would not stop screaming "WALL-E" at the quilt store till he had these fabrics cut and in his possession... I thought, sure what the heck, I'll make him a quilt for his bed.


That's a happy boy!
Quilt... What number am I on? Oi...
Sixth Quilt :
I made this for my new little neighbor Jacob!! A lot of squares equals a lot of fun. I'd love to make a queen-sized quilt like this with millions of 2 inch squares... perhaps, I'll save that one for when the kids move out... cause I'm sure it will take me forever.
AND...
Quilt Seven... tune in tomorrow!

10 comments:

Jessica said...

Cute Quilts! Makes me want to start one right now!

Danielle Hacking said...

You are so talented! Each one is so unique! I wish I could quilt, it is so awesome!

Beach Hendersons said...

Your first says so much about what was really popular. I remember when I was twelve I got my first perfume...sun, moon and stars. I was loving everything, sun/moon/stars. Now I just love stars.

Lauren said...

I love em! I have some fabric for you to inspire quilt #8. It is super girly from the new Basic Grey collection. . .

Maren said...

Wow! You are truly amazing. I think sewing was put on this earth specifically to torture me. You on the other hand - brilliant!

J, E, M & I said...

Can't wait! :)

Cristi said...

I miss quilting - I need to start up again!

Adrianne said...

wow I am super impressed. I stopped at the T-shirt quilt stage of my quilt makings. Your quilts are awesome!!

Anonymous said...

You are so talented! They all look great.

Janell said...

You are awesome!! I love them all. I really have wanted to make a quilt and sew more, so now I feel even more inspired.